Leading app analytics company Distimo, have released their March 2013 report focusing on how app developers are making money in the extremely crowded app marketplace.
The major take-away from this report was that In-App Purchases (IAP) are an unstoppable monetization strategy for apps. In fact, in-app purchases generated a record 76% of all revenue in the Apple App Store for iPhone in the US in February.
Distimo used their own products to analyze the Top 250 Grossing App chart in the US to come to their conclusions in this report. Some other interesting data points include:
- Of the 250 apps in the chart, 68% (170) were free with IAP and 53 or 21% were paid with IAP and the rest are paid only
- Regardless of the business model the Average Revenue Per Download (ARPD) was $0.99
- ARPD for Paid apps only was $2.25
- Paid apps with IAP had an ARPD of $2.46
- Free apps with IAP had the lowest ARPD at $0.93
Download the full report at http://www.distimo.com/publications